Step-By-Step Guide To Change Your Gmail Address
An email address is a type of address that can be used to send data, letters, emails, and other communication. It is also used to identify a person or organisation in online documents. It is important data for your online identity. But sometimes there is a need to change it.
Reasons To Change Email Address
There are many reasons why you might want to change your email address, but here are three that come to mind:
- You may want more personal privacy with your emails;
- You may want more control over how third-party companies use your information; and
- You may not have enough control over who can see or read your emails.
Whatever the reason, there are a few things that someone can do to make this change easier and more permanent.
Things To Do Before Changing An Email Address
There are a few things you should do before changing your email address.
Update any contact information on your website or in case of a change in a job title with new information as soon as possible so potential customers can find out about this change first-hand and avoid feeling confused about their current relationship with you.
Consider what changes or updates you may need to make to your email account to keep up with the latest news and events. This could include setting up a new password, adding a DM or other contact type, or changing your name on the account.
Different Methods To Change An Email Address
There are different methods you can use to change your email address on your mobile or desktop device.
Changing Your Gmail Address Without Making A New Account
1. Step 1, open your Google account and log in. Enter your email address and password to access the page if you aren’t already logged in.
2. On the left-hand side menu, select the Personal Info tab.
3. To view the Contact Info area, use your mouse to scroll down. The small arrowhead can be found in the Email section.
4. If your ID may be changed, click on the Google Account email button. As you can see, in this case, Google Chrome refuses to allow us to modify our email ID.
5. In the box next to the email address you want to update, click the Edit button.
6. Simply enter your new account email address and follow the on-screen instructions. Remember that you’ll get a verification email for the new address along with a verification link. For the last step, you must click the link to complete the address change.
The moment you clicked the link, your email address changed. Congratulations!
Changing Your Gmail Address By Making A New Gmail Account
You need to open a new email account if the first method doesn’t work.
1. Create a new Gmail account. After entering your information, your account will be ready.
2. Your account Settings can be accessed by clicking the cogwheel icon. There will be a dropdown menu.
3. Under the Quick Settings menu bar, click See all settings.
4. Select the Accounts and Import tab from the top menu if you’re using a conventional Gmail account (one that ends in gmail.com).
5. Here, you can see the Import mail and contacts area. Select the Import mail and contacts link over there. There will be a new window that appears.
6. In the box directly below, type your previous email address. Now you must log in to your previous email address. For this, open a new tab in your browser and sign in using your old account.
7. Both your old and new email accounts should be active at this point.
8. Click Continue when you have logged in with your old account. Your old email account will be requested in a new window that will open when you do this. Click on Allow to grant access.
9. You’ll get a status message after approving access stating that the authentication was successful. Close this window.
10. Visit the prior pop-up window
11. Choose your old email account’s import settings. For the following 30 days, you can forward new emails that arrive at your old Gmail address to your new Gmail address, import contacts, and mail.
12. After selecting the choices you want, click Start Import.
13. A completion status message will appear on your screen once the import procedure is complete. Minimise this window.
14. Your new Gmail address will now be updated. Your old emails can be found in your new account in a folder with the same name as your old account.
Changing Your Gmail Address By Setting Up An Email Forwarding System
However, you can maintain access to your previous emails by setting up an email forwarding system.
1. Go to your Account Settings by clicking the cogwheel symbol. It will display a drop-down menu.
2. To view all settings, select See all beneath the Quick Settings menu bar.
3. The top menu bar’s Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab should be selected.
4. Simply select Add a forwarding address from the Forwarding area. On your screen will emerge a pop-up box.
5. Type in your new Google Mail address.
6. Your new Gmail address will receive a verification email. To validate the modification, press the verification link.
Changing Your Gmail Address By Adding or Removing ‘Dots’
You can also change your Gmail Address by Adding or Removing Dots. To do this;
1. Enter your Gmail login information as normal.
2. In the top right corner of your screen, select the symbol for your profile photo, after which select Manage Your Google Account.
3. On the left-hand side menu, select the Personal Info tab.
4. The Contact Info field is down below if you scroll down. The small arrowhead can be found in the Email section.
5. The Alternate emails field is visible when you move your cursor down. Select Add alternate email by clicking on it.
6. Enter a backup email address, after which you should click Add. You will be taken to the page where you may add a backup email after entering your new password.
Importance Of Changing A Gmail Address
There is great importance to changing your Gmail address if you want to keep your account active and usable. A few reasons why this is so are as follows:
- If you have multiple addresses in your email account, it can be difficult to track which one is the primary one. By changing your Gmail address, you can easily ensure that your primary email address remains consistent across your devices.
- If you have a website or other online presence that relies on emails sent from your Gmail account, move some of your correspondence there to meet deadlines or maintain good service levels. Changing your Gmail address will help ensure that your correspondence ends where it needs to go.
Limitations Of Changing A Gmail Address
Gmail is a great email service with plenty of features. However, there are some limitations to changing your Gmail address.
- The first limitation is that you cannot use the same Gmail address for your personal and work emails. This is because Gmail keeps track of which addresses you use for which types of emails. If you want to use a different Gmail address for your personal and work emails, you must create two separate Gmail accounts and switch addresses when needed.
- Another limitation to using the same Gmail address is that you can only access your documents and messages from your primary Gmail account. If you want to send or receive documents or messages from another account, you will need to create a new account and use that account as the primary account for those documents and messages.
In conclusion, if you have an email address that you want to change, there are a few ways to do it. You can change it on your website or in your account settings, or you can use a service like Gmail that allows you to do it from within the app. whichever way you choose, be sure to take action and make sure your new email address is up to date so that all of your emails are sent to the correct recipients.
Was this article helpful? Let us know in the comments.
Can I change my Gmail address without creating a new account?
Neither the username nor the email address itself can be changed. The account name is the only thing that can be changed. They will see that name if you have saved it in their contacts under a different name. Only emails sent to them under your “new name” will be visible.
Can I have two different Gmail addresses?
Yes, you can have several Gmail accounts. Many professionals have a personal Gmail account and a work Gmail account linked to their CRM.
What happens to your old email address when you change it?
You will lose the email address if you decide to utilise the one provided by your internet service provider and relocate or switch services. This can need you to complete these actions quickly, putting essential correspondence at risk.