What to do when Gmail Keyboard Shortcuts stop working?
Gmail keyboard shortcuts are a great way to get into your email inbox quickly without having to type in every single word. But what if they stopped working? Don’t worry, and we will give you the Top 6 ways to fix your keyboard shortcuts in no time!
Shortcuts are one of the most important elements of every computer user’s life. They are used to switch between different applications and functions quickly. While typing in a text field, some keys are not responding. Keyboard shortcuts are not working in Gmail.
You can fix this by using the following ways:
Using a keyboard shortcut for Gmail is a common problem in the workplace. Finding the right one is difficult, and it can be a big time-saver. With this article, we will show how you can enable keyboard shortcuts for your emails with only one click.
- Open Gmail in a web browser and sign in to your account.
- Select the Setting gear in the top right corner.
- Select the See all settings button.
- Look for the Keyboard shortcuts section on the General menu.
- Tick the circle that says Keyboard shortcuts on.
- Click Save changes.
If the keyboard shortcuts still do not work, close the browser tab and open it again.
If you are using a browser like Chrome or Firefox, you might have noticed that your browser is in an active window. This is because the web page (or any other application) has been opened in the foreground of your screen. This means the user cannot see any other applications on their computer or even move their mouse.
The problem with this is that it is impossible to see what you are typing on your keyboard. You might read the content but not see it, and vice versa. If any other app or browser is active on your PC, none of the Gmail keyboard shortcuts will work.
To work properly, most Gmail shortcuts require alphabetical keys. The space key and some alphabetical keys have been problematic on Mac for some time. Sometimes the keyboard double-typed or failed to register keystrokes. It’s a known issue with MacBook butterfly keys.
Several tricks were tried, and the keyboard issues on the Mac were resolved quickly. Similarly, if you face double-typing issues on Windows, you may run into keyboard shortcuts issues in Gmail.
One of the best things about Gmail shortcuts is that you can create your own. It’s easy to customise them to your preferred combination and get the job done. In Gmail settings, the Keyboard Shortcuts menu will appear once keyboard shortcuts have been enabled. We can customise Gmail keyboard shortcuts by adding custom commands or modifying the default ones.
- Open Gmail on a web browser and sign in to your account.
- Open the Keyboard shortcuts menu.
- Check the current keyboard shortcut mappings.
- You can remove them and add a new one.
- Scroll down and press the Save changes button, and your new keyboard shortcuts are ready to use.
On our MacBook, the ‘C’ letter no longer worked, so we could not compose emails. By remapping the function to the ‘Y’ key, we could get things going. It is also possible to note down every Gmail keyboard shortcut from the Keyboard Shortcuts menu in Gmail Settings.
Keyboard shortcuts for your Gmail account may have been messed up by the recent Gmail redesign. Google allows you to revert to the original Gmail design to get back your ideal email setup.
- Open Gmail on a web browser.
- Select Settings to gear in the top right corner.
- Click Go back to the original Gmail View.
- Specify the reason for a switch and try Gmail shortcuts again.
A bug in your browser might cause keyboard shortcuts not to work in Gmail. Chrome is the best browser for using Google services. Besides Google Chrome, you can also use Microsoft Edge, Opera, Vivaldi, or Brave, all Chromium-based browsers.
Gmail keyboard shortcuts are an important part of the productivity suite with Google’s Gmail. By using the keyboard shortcuts, you can add new words to your vocabulary and save time on typing them out in emails, documents and spreadsheets. These shortcuts have been created by Google engineers to make life easier for users of their software. They are also very handy when working in different apps like Google Docs or Google Sheets.
The one-time setup of customised keyboard shortcuts is a great way to get a head start on your email quickly. With these keyboard shortcuts, it is easier to navigate through your Gmail. Not working keyboard shortcut on Gmail can be fixed in many ways:
- By opening Gmail in another browser.
- Going back to the previous Gmail design.
- Customise your keyboard shortcuts.
- Make sure that the browser or window you are using is active.
- Check your keyboard for any issues.
- Enabling the keyboard shortcuts for Gmail.
Go to the Gmail home page, and Choose ‘More tools’ from Chrome’s drop-down menu. You’ll see either ‘Add to desktop’ or ‘Create shortcut’ in the tools menu. Click on that option and follow the quick instructions there – the icon should automatically appear on your desktop.
Follow the steps below to find the settings for Gmail shortcuts for the keyboard:
- Open Gmail.
- At the top right, click Settings. See all settings.
- Scroll to the Keyboard shortcuts section and select Keyboard shortcuts on.
- At the bottom, click Save Changes.
With the keyboard unplugged, hold down the ESC key. While holding the ESC key, plug the keyboard back into your computer. After about 5 seconds, release the ESC key. You will see the keyboard lighting flash if the reset is successful.